BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
Karimpur is geographically located as the borderline between Nadia and Murshidabad and it is also very near to our neighboring country Bangladesh. So the place has its own socio-political and cultural importance from the very beginning. On 4th August, 1968 as a ‘Home of Higher Education’ Karimpur Pannadevi College was established to cater higher education to the people of Karimpur and its vast locality, particularly for the students belonging to the poor and middle class families who cannot afford to go far off places for meeting the demand of higher education. The establishment of the College was possible with the indomitable zeal of Dr. Nalinaksha Sanyal, an illustrious son of the soil and the donation made by Sri Durga Prasad Agarwala, and the College was named after his wife Pannadevi Agarwala. Patrons of education from all spheres of the society supported wholeheartedly towards foundation of the College, either by contributing cash or by donating land. The College initially started functioning in Karimpur Jagannath High School in the morning shift and later shifted to its own buildings in January, 1970.
The College has now a three-storied building measuring about 40,000 sq.ft., having a campus of about 7 acres. Presently the College offers education to around 4,000 students of Arts, Science and Commerce streams. Students come from different corners of the locality. The college has its well furnished spacious Guest House and Womens’ Hostel ready for the students.
Since inception, the college was affiliated to the University of Calcutta and from 1999-2000 onwards the College is affiliated to the University of Kalyani at the undergraduate level. The College has got its recognition from UGC under section 2f & 12B.
The College aims at upliftment of the people of the locality, particularly the poor and middle classes, through spreading higher education leads to employment. Since its inception, the college is committed to transforming the darkened demographic situation into an awakened one by imparting higher education to the aspiring youth.
- To transforming the darkened demographic situation into an awakened one by imparting higher education to the aspiring youth.
- To offer suitable undergraduate courses to enable the young people of the locality fit for educational and administrative services.
- To offer value-based and value-added education to groom the students as capable, sensible and responsible citizens of the country.
- To provide quality education to the local students irrespective of caste, creed, religion and diverse socioeconomic status.
- To develop a commitment towards the conservation of Environment with a goal towards sustainable development.